For such a long time, I thought the only way to get that fast food style chicken nugget craving fulfilled was with the vegan nuggets in the frozen food section. Don’t get me wrong, I love the vegan nuggets in the frozen section! I have especially loved tasting them and trying to reverse engineer them.
There are some that are bean based, almost like a falafel. There are other that are mostly chick pea based, and these ones are sturdier! But then there are the vital wheat gluten based nuggets, and these one are the ones I first discovered and fell in love with, called seitan.
Making the ‘dough’, you could call it a dough, is very simple. The hardest part is the hand kneading of the dough. It is important to incorporate a lot of air into it to create a more chicken-like texture. If that is not your priority, just keep in mind you’ll need to get some air into it, so even kneading for a few minutes will do.
Once you make the dough, it needs to simmer in water on the stovetop for 30 minutes. After that, you can use it however you’d use chicken. I’m not saying that it tastes like chicken, or that’s like chicken, but I will say that sauces, dips and flavors that work well with chicken work very well with seitan, too.
Usually, I break it off into small chunks, and once they’re done simmering, I use a flour, flax egg and bread crumb dredging station to bread them the same way I would bread chicken. Today, I wanted to test out a ‘chick’n burger’ by making a patty out of the seitan! I had it open faced on a piece of bread instead of putting it in a bun.
Vegan Chicken Burgers (and Nuggets)
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp everything bagel seasoning
- ½ tbsp parsley
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- Whisk the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and spices together.1 cup vital wheat gluten, ¼ cup nutritional yeast, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp everything bagel seasoning
- Mix in the vegetable stock and soy sauce.
- Continue mixing and kneading by hand until elastic dough forms. Continue kneading by hand for several minutes.¾ cup vegetable stock, 1 tbsp soy sauce
- You can make burgers by rolling out some of the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, or you an make nuggets by just pulling chunks of the dough off.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and reduce to a simmer. One at a time, add your chunks of dough to the water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare your dredging station and a flax egg. For the flax egg, mix one tablespoon of ground flax with two tablespoons of water and mix. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place the flour and panko crumbs in their own bowls, and the flax egg in a third bowl.1 tbsp ground flax, 2 tbsp water
- Dip each piece first in the flour, then the flax egg and finally in the bread crumbs. Place breaded piece on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.1 cup all purpose flour, 1½ cups panko bread crumbs, ½ tbsp parsley
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10.