The term ‘yucko barfo’ was coined by my sister about my dad’s healthy soups, stews, etc that looked disgusting but were very healthy. I aim for my versions of yucko barfo to be as healthy (and maybe as gross looking) as my dad’s.
Really this recipe is just a jumping off point for you to use whatever you have in your pantry and fridge. This version just happened to be made on this day, while I was filming a week in the life video, and I’m including it for reference from that video. You can’t really go wrong with these yucko barfo bean soups, use what you have!
I use my Ninja Foodi literally every day, at least twice a day!
Simple Black Bean Soup
- 1 Pressure Cooker I use the Ninja Foodi and love it!
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 5 potatoes I used yellow
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic measure this with your heart
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 handful spinach
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- Chop all your veggies into bite sized pieces. Add them and the dry black beans to the pot of your pressure cooker.
- Mix tomato paste into water and add to the pot.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 1 hour.
- You can let it release naturally or manually. Jar it up once it has cooled off, it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
I use a wide mouth funnel like this one to transfer the soup into my jars. You can always buy mason jars, but I like to reuse whatever jars I come across!