This recipe is really just an apple pie with caramels, buuuuut it’s a really good apple pie with caramels! I’ve made this pie with homemade vegan caramels, homemade traditional caramels and again with store bought traditional caramels and they both work just as well so use whichever you normally would.
The base apple pie is one of the first pie recipes I ever made with my grandma, and I still make it exactly like this recipe, just once in a while I will toss in some caramel!
A few quick notes about this pie:
- topping the crust with a little cinnamon sugar will give it some sparkle and a little crunch to the crust, the more even the sugar, the more uniform the crunch
- check on your pie after 20 minutes in the oven and if the crust looks like it’s about ready but you have to leave it in for another 10+ minutes, loosely cover it with foil to prevent burning
- literally any soft caramel candies will work, but remember to cut them into fourth and don’t use too many or they burn and will ruin your pie
Apple Caramel Pie
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅕ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 10-15 caramels (you really have to measure this with your heart, but be mindful that if you use too many they will bubble up like molten caramel lava and burn)
- Preheat oven to 435°F. Prepare pie crust as usual or use packaged crust, lining a pie dish with the bottom dough.
- Mix all ingredients except the caramels in a bowl.
- Cur caramels into smaller pieces, a typical commercial caramel square should be cut in half and then in half again.
- Mix the caramels into the pie filling and spread the pie filling evenly over the bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust dough. This is an opportunity to get creative with your crusts, or cut out a little star like I did. 😉
- Dust the top of the pie with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar before baking for 30-40 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your crust, the size of your apple pieces and your individual oven. Check on it after 30 minutes.