Assuming we can all agree that spice level is rated on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is not really spicy at all, maybe a little ginger or something and that 5 is almost inedible. Not really inedible, but you know. I’m calling this a 4, mostly because I did not remove the adobe seeds and they really pack a punch. You can bring this recipe down to a 3 if you remove all the seeds when you transfer the tofu from the marinade to the coating.
4 Alarm Spicy Adobo Pepper Tofu
- Ninja Foodi Air Fryer
- 400 g tofu, extra firm blot dry with paper towel
- 6.5 oz canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup + ¾ cup water water for the marinade + sauce
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp peanut oil for the air fryer, use whatever oil you like
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Open the can of peppers and rinse it out into a measuring cup, so you get all the little bits.
- Tear the tofu apart by hand into a bowl and pour the adobo and water mixture over top. Stir to coat evenly and refrigerate one hour, take it out and give it a stir at the half hour point.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the corn starch, nutritional yeast and paprika.
- Pick the tofu out of the tofu and adobo bowl, add it to the corn starch mixture, and stir it to evenly coat the tofu. It will still be a little wet.
- Add peanut oil to air fryer, place tofu in the fry basket and air fry at 390°F for 10 minutes. Stir tofu, check for crispness, and set for an additional 10 minutes or less if not necessary.
- While tofu is air frying, pour the leftover marinade in a small saucepan. Make a corn starch slurry with the corn starch and ¾ cup water. Add to sauce and whisk to incorporate over medium-low heat, whisk in brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the air fried tofu and serve with quinoa and sweet potato.